Wood is a renewable resource, and buying it in bulk can be a great way to save money. How much is a firewood cord? About 128 cubic feet, enough for a family of four to heat their home for the winter at an average cost.
Buying firewood by the cord offers many advantages that smaller packages don’t provide. You’ll get more wood than if you were to purchase bundles; it will last longer, take up less space in your house, and give you better burning quality because there are no air pockets between logs like there would be with bundles.
If you’re looking for this kind of deal on firewood, then go online and find some providers near you! If not, check out our site.
Every home needs firewood for the winter, but how much does a cord of wood weigh? This blog post will answer this question, whats a face cord of wood and more. Some people measure the cord of firewood dimensions by stacking the logs tight with no gaps between them, measuring four feet high by eight feet long which equals 128 cubic feet or one cord. It is not an official measurement because it doesn’t include kindling or other materials often found inside a cord of woodpile.
What is a cord of firewood?
A cord of wood is a measurement used for firewood, and a cord is a unit of measure used to describe the amount of stacked wood. The actual amount of wood that a cord represents is not fixed and varies with the wood’s type, length, and density.
Closer pieces of wood packed more tightly together will allow for increased numbers in cord measurement than long pieces with gaps between each piece. Cord measurements are usually calculated by multiplying the number of feet or meters squared by 128 cubic feet to get the total number of cubic feet.
A cord is four feet wide, four feet deep, and eight feet tall. This tells us how much space it takes to hold one cord of firewood. These measurements are standard throughout the United States. Although there are different values for other countries, it is safe to assume that one cord in the United States is the same as a cord in Canada, Guatemala, Australia, and others.
The measurement of 1 cord equals 128 cubic feet. This comes out to 4′ x 4′ x 8′.
How much is a cord of wood?
The total price for a cord of wood will depend on the size and location. The best thing is to shop around in different places, compare prices, and negotiate with firewood sellers to see if you can get a better deal.
1/3, 1/2, and full cords are the most common measurements you will run into when looking to buy firewood. A quarter cord would be 12 pieces of wood, 16 inch long logs stacked 4 feet high by 8 feet wide.
When stacking your wood, make sure you space them a few inches apart so it can dry out. A half cord would be a stack of wood that is 8 feet high, 4 feet wide, and holds 16 pieces which are 128 cubic feet if it all fits in your space. If you have the time to cut the wood yourself, it could definitely save you money, but you run into two problems:
1) You have to have the tools to cut it, so you are not buying a chainsaw or
2) You have to have the space in your yard for storing it.
Another thing with cutting your wood is that usually, people who do this will buy wood that looks nice, whereas when you go buy pre-cut firewood, they will be of average quality wood, either pine or oak.
You may be able to bargain per log if you buy a face cord of wood, so be sure to ask the seller about this before making payment.
A full-face cord will have 128 cubic feet with 16 pieces of wood stacked 8 ft high by 4 ft wide, which is also the standard size of a pick-up truck bed. It is usually sold for about $135, from what I have been able to find out. However, this differs from place to place and depends on the seller, and you may be able to get a better price.
See Also: Electric vs Gas Chainsaw
Types of firewood
Generally, there are two types of wood
Hardwoods such as oak and maple are generally more expensive than softwoods such as pine and cedar.
The reason for this is that hardwood burns longer and hotter, which makes it better for more extensive fires in fireplaces or wood stoves. Softwoods such as pine and cedar tend to burn out quickly, so they are usually used in smaller fireplaces. They are also less expensive.
It is best to use a dry one because it burns the cleanest, but if you have access to green or partially seasoned wood, that is always an option too. Keep in mind that wet wood will smoke more and is not as easy to start a fire with, so be prepared for some extra work.
A good rule of thumb for if your wood is seasoned enough is to pick up a piece and try bending it. If it cracks or breaks apart, you have seasoned wood, otherwise, keep looking as this is poor quality firewood.
What is the average price for a cord of wood?
The price for a cord of wood is about $75. If you want to be more particular, it should cost around $120-$145.
This is a tricky question to answer because the price fluctuates depending on the location. The average estimated price for a cord of wood can be roughly $100-$150 in some places.
Which factors decide what the average price for a cord of wood is?
The following factors usually determine the average price for a cord of wood:
- Availability and supply of firewood
- Number of people using a particular type of firewood, such as softwoods or hardwoods, which have different prices
- In the location where you purchase your firewood, rural locations will have more demand and higher prices for firewood.
- The time of year: Prices go up during winter or hurricane season, which is December through February.
- Your negotiation skills: If you can negotiate with the seller, you may be able to get a better price on your cord of wood.
Read More: Types of Saws and Their Uses
How to determine the average price for a cord of wood in different regions?
The estimated price for a cord of wood in the North East is around $125-$150.
Western states will have one of the most expensive cords at an average price of $145-175. This is due to the fact that people are willing to pay more for firewood so that sellers can charge more. Additionally, sellers can raise prices with harsh winters and the high demand for firewood.
Eastern states like New York will probably have a cord of wood at around $120-140.
Southern states like Kentucky and Tennessee will not be as expensive as other areas. A cord of wood in those regions may be around $100-$120.
What are the measurements of a cord of wood?
A cord of wood is usually 16 feet long. To put this in perspective, this would be 4x4x8 ft, and the measurements are typically 4 feet by 4 feet wide and 8 feet high. Remember, the length of your log should be 16ft or 3/4 of a standard pick-up bed if you are buying from a seller.
A cord of wood can be cut to those dimensions but is usually not as the seller wants to leave room for themselves, so they do not have to stack it as high. They also do not want you taking up more than one-third of their truck bed with firewood, so they generally sell a “face cord,” which is usually 4 feet x 8 feet.
For smaller, you will only need 1 3rd of a full cord, and this would be about 4 stacks of wood for a total of 32 pieces which should last you around two winters. You can also buy firewood in other sizes, such as half or quarter cord.
How to measure a cord of wood
Measuring a cord of wood is very easy, and all you have to do is get a tape measure and wrap it around your stack of wood. However, the measurement must be taken from outside the stack of firewood because some sellers will sell 4 feet wide by 8 feet long piles of wood that may not be 16 feet long if measured from the inside. The seller should also give you a receipt for your wood measurement.
See Also: Bar and Chain Oil Substitute
5 Tips to measure a cord of wood:
- If you are using a tape measure, then make sure that it is not stretched out since this will give you an inaccurate measurement
- Take more than one measurement of your stack of wood to ensure that you have the right amount and size
- Measuring firewood is much easier if the seller stacks them for you, but still, make sure to measure the stack from outside as mentioned above
- Make sure you have a knowledge of how much 1 cord of wood is because some firewood sellers do not know what a cord is and will sell less than one full-stack, which comes out to be close to 4-foot x 8 feet by 16 feet long if your fireplace is 10 feet tall.
- Make sure you store the pile of firewood off the ground if it is a full cord to prevent any wood from getting moldy or rotten from exposure to water and air.
What is the volume of a cord of wood?
The volume of a cord of wood is usually between 1600 and 3200 cubic feet. This means there are 128 cubic feet in 1 ft3 or 2 ft3 in 1 cubic yard, so it would be 64 cubic feet per stack if they were laid out flat. This becomes very important when doing business with firewood sellers because we need to know how much they are selling us.
The standard size for a cord of wood is about 4-foot x 8 feet by 16 feet long, but some sellers will sell you a pile that is simply 4 ft wide by 8 ft long, which may not be as big and will take up less than 1/3 of your truck bed and they will not give you a receipt for your purchase.
How to measure the volume of a cord of wood?
- You can use multiple measurements of your stack, but make sure you are using the same measurement all throughout your stack
- Ensure that you get an actual receipt for how much firewood you received because there is a big difference in volume and weight, which will affect your bill
- Make sure to get it from outside the stacks of wood as mentioned above
- The best way to measure the volume of your cord is by using a measuring tape or rod that can be found at most hardware stores. Make sure the stack is packed tightly together and not loosely stacked, but do not use any nails in the wood when taking measurements. You can also pick up 4 foot wide pieces of cardboard from a hardware store and stack them on each other to check if you have a full cord of wood
How Much Is A Cord Of Wood? – FAQs
If you are looking to buy firewood this upcoming winter, make sure to look around for the best price because it varies depending on your location. Also, if you already know someone who has a fireplace or woodstove, see if they will let you help them split their wood and, in return, get some free or cheap firewood. If all else fails, an option could be to rent a chainsaw and cut it yourself. Just make sure you wear all the necessary safety equipment while doing so. I hope this article has been helpful. Thank you for reading this article, and have a great day!